Friday, September 22, 2006

Zombie Invasion

Today was career day here at the Institution, and by "career day" I mean omg-I'm-never-getting-a-desk-job day. See, my calculus teacher somehow got himself into the position of needing to grade a bunch of practice SATs by 10:30 (which was about 2 hours away) so he decided in enlist some of his BC (thats latin for "very hard") Calculus students to grade scantrons for him in return for dohnuts (actualy, I may have been the only one who capitilized the situation to get dohnuts). Unsurprisingly, it was really boring since all I had to do was look at an answer key and a bunch of filled in bubbles over and over (and over) again. I only did it for 30 or 40 minutes, but that was enough to convince me never to get a desk job that requires that kind of work, or anything close to it. I won't become one of those corporate zombies who have their souls sucked out at work! Never! Seriously, talk about lack of fufillment. All day, just looking at bubbles, just another cog in a machine that does nothing but process bubbles and create paper work. Kinda makes you all nostalgic about the old days, when work was honest and physical. Maybe I'll just wait until the robots do all the work for us...

AHH! Robot Invasion!

5 comments:

Juicy said...

yeah...i once spent like a whole buisness day infront of a computer at dads office. i don't see how people do it, it can't be healthy....I'm never getting a desk job.

SabilaK said...

Ahh, you've awoken sweet (or not so much) memories of AP Calc. What a special time.
As for jobs, the world of publishing is rather sweet. It's fun-nish--lots of meetings and greetings, lunches and parties, young, creative, brilliant lit dorks rubbing shoulders daily. Oh, and the reading. There's so much delightful reading to be had! It's swell, if you ask me.
Hey, but I thought you weren't planning on making it past 40. You have yet to elaborate on that!

gbz said...

Calc rocks my world (I just got a C+ on my first test).
Classes/college/sports/crippling social issues have kinda kept me from blogging much, especialy good posts about stuff like "dieing" at 40, but I'll try to write more...

Anonymous said...

I totally droppped Calculus. Thanks for the offer to help though, lol.

I don't think I could do a desk job. I can hardly stand making DVD's for teachers at school (I do the school news stuff and am the only one that knows how to use the AV room's DVD burning stuff) it literally almost drives me insane. I had to make a DVD of some guy reading "The Little Engine That Could." that's crap.

SabilaK said...

I forgot how to multiply today. It took my assistant talking to me in slow-motion-like to explain to me that 250 X 1000 equals 250,000. And I kicked ass in AP Calc. Goes to show that Calc isn't useful in the real world...and that I'm a dummy...
I'd like to officially blame the latter on the fasting. Eff, I'm thirsty.